At Executive Compass® we work in a very fast paced environment and no two days are the same. We are committed to growing our business through the development of and investment in our people.
PQQ, Bid & Tender Writers
We are always looking to hear from suitable candidates to join our team; you will need to be hardworking, with excellent attention to detail and possess a good sense of humour. If you think you are up to the challenge, contact us with your CV and cover letter and we will be in touch.
The about us page has further information about the Executive Compass bid writing team and what we do.
- You will support the existing technical editor in reviewing the material produced by our team of bid writers to ensure we retain our current success rate
- Each day our bid writers create between 30,000 and 35,000 words of bid narrative
- Each piece must be checked to ensure compliance with the tender specification, legal requirements, best practice, specific industry standards, in-house guidelines, and customer requirements, as well as coherence and quality of writing
- This demanding role requires someone who has significant experience in bid writing, bid evaluation and/or reviewing across a very wide range of industries
- The successful candidate must be highly literate with exceptional attention to detail and must be able to concentrate for long periods of time
- They will also need good communication skills and be able to articulate their comments and ideas to writers
Note: Proofreading does not form part of the duties. The role focuses on quality of content, specification compliance and coherence etc. and so proofreading is undertaken at a separate stage by a different individual.
Our head office is based in Newcastle, with UK-wide remote/home working as an option.
Key Sector/Operational Knowledge
The ideal candidate will have previously been involved in bid writing, bid evaluation or business writing, and have knowledge of the public sector procurement process. Ideally, you will have significant experience of industry, usually 10+ years, hold a business management qualification, and have a detailed knowledge of business processes and systems across a very wide range of sectors and topics such as:
- Recruitment and staffing
- Customer service
- Quality management
- Health & Safety
- Business continuity
- Environment and sustainability
- CDM(2015) Regulations
- Social value
- Reviewing all content and working with individual bid writers to drive forward quality
- Liaising with bid writers and the bid manager to agree scheduling of reviews
- Working with the technical manager to identify skill gaps and appropriate training to improve individual and organisational success rates
- Supporting writers to generate answer plans, storyboards and win themes
- Acting as coach and mentor to writers
- Analysing all evaluation feedback and developing improvement strategies
- Maintaining and reporting on all writing KPI statistics
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ideally the candidate will hold a business and management qualification
- Detailed knowledge of procurement and tendering processes and procedures within the public and private sector
- Previously worked in a bidding environment or perhaps worked as an evaluator for a public sector body
- Knowledge of the Public Sector Contract Regulations would be advantageous
- The recruitment process will consist of an aptitude test, and two face-to-face interviews
Trainee Bid Writers and Experienced Bid Writer roles available
Have you ever wondered if you have the right transferable skills needed to join our organisation? Then take our writing test and find out if you are suited to a role as a professional bid writer.
- The test will be emailed to you at an agreed time and must be completed and returned within four hours
- A bespoke format has been developed over the last 10 years, based on genuine ITT or PQQ questions, and is deliberately challenging
- Topics covered could be from any sector or discipline of our choosing, however we do provide you with relevant information needed to write the response, and you are free to conduct your own wider research during the test
- Previous applicants (including most of our current team!) have described it as incredibly tough, mentally tiring, and utterly intense – you have been warned!
- To take the test, please email your CV to email@example.com and state your preferred date and time (evenings and/or weekends are permitted) that you would like to receive the test paper
- Please provide at least 72 hours’ notice and remember you will have a strict four hours to complete the test
- Constructive feedback and advice on your suitability for a career as a bid writer will be given to all those who complete the test, with successful candidates invited for interview
As a Bid Writer, you will support your clients by preparing compelling, persuasive and compliant bids across a diverse range of industries and sectors throughout the UK. Working in a fast paced environment, you will be required to complete multiple projects at once so strong organisation skills together with excellent attention to detail and an ability to work well under pressure is essential.
- Provide technical and commercial writing skills, displaying creative flair in tender submissions
- Project manage the bid process end to end on own initiative in a pressured. deadline-driven environment
- Objectively appraise tender submissions and complete internal quality assurance checks
- Manage client relationships and maintain existing individual bid libraries
- Support and guidance to other writers and internal stakeholders on preparing written documents and presentations
- Review successful and unsuccessful submissions, feedback and lessons learned to promote continuous improvement
- Become involved in all aspects of the business, including strategy, sales, business development and quality management
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A business qualification would be advantageous
- Proven track record in delivering bids and proposal management
- Outstanding writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working in a busy, continually pressured bid writing environment
- Sound commercial business understanding and risk awareness
- Excellent project and client management skills
- Able to write business-winning narrative quickly and to a deadline
- Show high levels of commitment and initiative to ensure winning submissions
- Confident with working unsupervised
Contact us for more information or send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org