Building or demolition works have the potential to release asbestos fibres into the atmosphere, which can have catastrophic effects on health if the removal works are not carried out in carefully controlled conditions. As a result, qualified and licensed contractors are sought to ensure the safety of construction workers and members of the public.
This highly regulated industry encompasses a wide range of services such as:
- Consultancy – where asbestos removal projects are more complex, or of a larger scale, companies may source a consultant to provide guidance and advice. Consultants provide an extra level of reassurance that the works are being completed to the standard required.
- Surveying – specialist asbestos surveyors are responsible for locating the presence and extent of any suspect asbestos containing materials (ACMs) in the building which could be damaged or disturbed during normal occupancy, refurbishment or demolition.
- Testing and analysis – this often involves sample testing where the contractor will analyse materials suspected of containing asbestos in a UKAS accredited laboratory. Alternatively, air testing or monitoring involves the examination of airborne particles.
- Training – asbestos awareness courses (usually UKATA approved) are delivered to those who may come into contact with asbestos, giving them a more in-depth understanding of the hazards, legislation and emergency procedures.
- Removal and abatement – this process involves asbestos removal work; safely removing or encapsulating ACMs to reduce the risk of exposure to building users.
Asbestos tender opportunities
Due to the range and complexities of asbestos services, it is essential that contractors bidding for this type of work have a robust bid strategy. Our experienced team of bid writers can help you to identify asbestos tender opportunities that are right for you. We can also support companies in reviewing eligibility of qualifying criteria to advise on the ‘bid’ ‘no-bid’ decision of tendering opportunities.
Our expertise lies in supporting companies to bid for contracts with local authorities and housing associations to undertake works across a range of properties such as social housing. However, we have also supported organisations to bid for contracts with other institutions such as universities. Our clients have successfully won, and delivered, logistically complex asbestos removal opportunities across large, historic or listed buildings. As a result, we are well-equipped to provide support with all different types of asbestos-related tender submissions, many of which are framework agreements and can be quite competitive.